Electronic sports (eSports) is a term for organised videogame competitions, particularly between Professionals.

South Korea is its cornerstone and has officially licensed pro-gamers since the year 2000. Along with South Korea, most competitions take place in Europe, North America, Australia and China.

The most popular eSport games are:

  • HearthStone (PC)
  • League Of Legends (PC)
  • Dota2 (PC)
  • CS:GO (PC)
  • Call Of Duty (Xbox 360)
  • FIFA (Xbox 360)

The figures for the videogame business worldwide are as follows: 40 billion dollars in 2011 and 70 billion dollars in 2013.

It is estimated that there are nearly a billion active gamers. By sexes, 85% of gamers are men and the remaining 15% women.

eSports are booming to such an extent in China that a stadium completely dedicated to eSports and that can hold up to 15,000 spectators is being built for 2017. It will be on Hengqin Island, near to the city of Macau.

eSports followers online doubled in number up to 71 million between 2012 and 2013.

facebook twitter twitch

We use third-party and own cookies to improve your experience and our services, by analysing the browsing of our website.

If you continue browsing, we consider that you have accepted their use. Further information: Cookies Policy

I agree